Monday, June 11, 2007

Laconia Trip; Sunday June 10; Day 3

Okay, I'm going to preface this one by saying that I had my Canon XT with me but no CF card! What a rotten photographer I am! So, we thought okay, we will just pick up a CF card at a local Rite Aid. Well, we get half way down the Kanc and I realize that I hadn't even brought my camera!! The camera was back at the condo. URGH!!!!!

Well, we were meeting some of dad's friends from the Harley forum so we got up pretty early to head down to meet them. Right in front of our condo is the Kancamagus Hwy (I still can't say it and I'm not the only one - everyone calls it the "Kanc"). We rode that down to where we were meeting the guys. The "Kanc" is a very picturesque ride in the middle of the White Mountains, there are little parks and hikes all along the route. Once again we thought we were going to get rained on. It had poured at the condo in the morning and it was really cloudy and misty when we first started out. After about 15 minutes the clouds broke and it was beautiful!

We met 2 of Dad's friends and they were both from around here. After talking in the parking lot for over an hour my back was killing me and I was hungry (remember I hadn't eaten since 5 the night before!) so I suggested we all go INTO the restaurant. We wound up eating on the porch and it was really nice. Dad's friends were really nice. One of them had to leave at 12 to attend something for his daughter's graduation but the other one George became our tour guide for the day. He was great. I mentioned my camera dilemma and he went to his bike and got his camera which was a little camera the size of my hand. He gave it to me to use all day. Which was really nice. The only problem was that he set it up for the pictures to have only 2 MP so although we took a lot of pictures that day I doubt they will be any good except for posting on the internet. He is going to email them to me later.

We started off riding to a place called Ellis Falls. We drove into the park and parked. There was a pedestrian tunnel that actually went under the road to the other side. We actually started out at the top of the falls and walked down some stone steps to get to the bottom. It was beautiful and the mist was very cooling. The climb back up was not so pleasant especially in my riding boots. But we made it and we headed back out.

We stopped at George's parent's house where he is staying (he actually lives in Maine and is here for bike week), he was burning up and needed to get a cooler shirt. Well they live in an aviation community like the one that the Haydens live in in Fredricksburg. So, as you can imagine Dad was in Heaven. But it got better. George's step dad is building a P51 in his hangar. So, they talked for quite a while about that and then Dad found out that their house was built with styrofoam building blocks like Legos. Well, that fascinated Dad and we stayed there about an hour and a half while Dad talked. George's mom was really nice and it was a nice visit.

We then set out and rode for another hour and a half or so and wound up where the main action is for bike week. It is down at a place called Weir's Beach. That is the only place that we hit any kind of traffic. We got some ice cream at Weirs (that is my only requirement this week is ice cream every day) and then headed to a place called the Broken Spoke which is a saloon. They also have a bunch of vendors selling t-shirts and other biker stuff. They also have one of those mechanical bull things. There were other things going on that we quickly decided we wouldn't be staying very long. We left George there, and we left and headed back to Lincoln where we are staying. Right before we got to our condo we stopped and ate at a Chinese restaurant. We were the only ones in there. The waiters were so cute they were two chinese guys that I don't think had been in the states for very long. They just smiled the whole time and I could barely understand them. They reminded me of the guys in the Chinese restaurant in "A Christmas Story". Dad's food was good but mine was burnt so I felt like I hadn't eaten.

We got back to the condo in time to watch Brian Regan but I fell asleep after the 3rd joke. I'm glad it was taped so we can watch it when we get home.

Dave and Lee arrive tomorrow! They had stayed in Hartford for a memorial service/ash spreading of Lee's dad which was on Sunday.

Miles covered: approx 250

No comments: